West Palm Beach, FL – You’ve sold your home. Or, you are thinking of refinancing your current mortgage.
One of the things that the lender will require is a property appraisal. While the actual appraisal inspection may only take a few hours, the appraiser must go back to the office, do the research and write a 10 to 15 page report.
What is a Home Appraisal?
A home appraisal is a professional assessment of the value of a property. The appraisal is typically ordered by a lender as part of the loan approval process for a home purchase, refinance, or home equity loan. The appraiser, who is a licensed professional, will visit the property and evaluate it based on a variety of factors, including its condition, location, and comparables (recent sales of similar properties in the area). The appraiser will then prepare a report detailing their findings and provide an estimated value for the property. This report is used by the lender to ensure that the loan they are considering is appropriately secured by the value of the property.
How can you help?
Here are some tips to help the appraiser with additional information—and in most instances a faster turn-around time to complete the report.
- Compile a list of recent improvements. If possible include “before and after” pictures, and copies of paid receipts for work completed. If major updates were made, provide a detailed copy of the bid from the contractor.
- Make sure all areas are accessible, including the attic, basement, and crawl spaces. This includes the garage.
- If the home is part of a homeowner’s association, include a copy of the fees paid, and the name and phone number of the association president or executive director.
- Straighten up each room. Appraisers are required to photograph each room, and while it may not make a difference to them if the room is messy, there may be an underwriter who is less objective.
- If there are any unfinished projects, make sure they are completed before the inspection.
- If there are any easements, encroachments or unusual deed restrictions, you may want to provide a copy of the list.
A little help from you goes a long way to make sure that the appraisal report is accurate and complete.
Ideal Lending Solutions is your premier home mortgage lender in Florida. At Ideal Lending Solutions you will work one-on-one with a dedicated mortgage professional who can explain loan programs and offer great mortgage rates to meet your financial goals.