The Mortgage Credit Certificate Programs which are also known as MCC, allows homebuyers to claim a tax credit for a percentage of their paid mortgage interest each year. It is a dollar-for-dollar reduction against your federal tax liability.
Who is Eligible:
- Homebuyers who have not owned a home within the past three years.
- You do not exceed the income and home purchase price limits.
- You meet the lender qualification for a mortgage loan.
- You will occupy the home as your primary residence.
How Much of a Credit Can You Claim?
- The amount of annual tax credit can range from 10 to 50 percent of the annual mortgage interest you pay each year.
- The annual tax credit cannot exceed the lesser of $2,000 or your annual federal tax liability.
- Each State/Local jurisdiction has MCC percentage and income/price limits.
Here is a sample MCC calculation that shows how this works:
$200,000 (mortgage amount) x 4 percent (mortgage interest rate) x 20 percent (MCC percentage)
= $1,600 (eligible credit amount)
Thus, the borrower would be able to claim $1,600 in credit on his or her annual tax return.
Contact Us for information about our State and Local Jurisdiction MCC Credits!