Are you ready to make that leap from renting to owning a home of your own? Before you begin your search for a home, it’s important to identify the type and style you’d like. Build your checklist by asking yourself some key questions. Once completed, sharing this list with your real estate agent will help them focus on finding a home that’s just right for you.
While this may be your first home, it’s not likely to be your last. As you put together your list keep in mind on average most first-time buyers move within 5 to 7 years. Set your sights on identifying what meets your needs now and into the foreseeable future. Your list is about identifying basic needs that must be met and features you’d like to have.
Your Family’s Needs
What will make your home, comfortable, efficient and livable?
- How many bedrooms do you need? Does each child need their own room?
- How many bathrooms do you need?
- Do you need additional storage space, a basement or attic?
- Do you need a guest room or home office?
Which neighborhoods will best meet your travel and commuting needs?
- How far are you willing to commute to work each day?
- How close to family members do you need to be?
- Do you need to be close to transportation, such as bus or train routes?
- Are there other activities you need to be close to like local schools, church or golf club?
What added features do you want? Then, prioritize based on importance.
- Working Fireplace
- Central Air Conditioning
- Hardwood Floors
- Walk-In Closets
- Gourmet or Eat-In Kitchen
- Whirlpool Bathtub
- Separate Laundry Room
- Large or Fenced Yard
- Swimming Pool
- Three Car Garage
Don’t start your home search without first getting pre-approved for your home loan. Before you call a real estate agent or start looking at property websites, you’ll want to find out how much home you can afford.
A pre-approval from Ideal Lending puts you and the seller at ease knowing you are financially capable of following through with the purchase of the home. Get started today!